Sunday, July 27, 2008

Please take a 25 question survey

I recently posted about the results of the EDB Open Source Survey. It doesn't look like the raw data is going to be released. I was also reading about an O'reilly survey that costs $350 to see. Not that I am opposed to them making money, but I wanted to see the results and I think there are a lot people who feel the same. I have no idea if my survey is anything like O'reilly's.

Anyway, I have created a new survey. It has about 10 demographics questions asking who you are, where you are, what kind of role you have, etc. The rest are related to databases and open source. ALL data, and I mean all of the raw results, will be made available to anyone who wants to see it. I will also do some analysis and I will make that data available to any who want to see that.

All questions on the survey are optional. Feel free to skip anything you are uncomfortable answering. On the survey I ask for an email address. That address is strictly to allow me to email you the results. When you complete the survey, you will be taken to a web page. After the survey is over, the results (as a link to a data file) will be posted on that page. If you would rather not share your email ID, leave that field blank and just bookmark the final page. You can check back occasionally and I will post when the data is available here. It's actually less work for me if you don't give me your email addess. ;-)

Also, I ask for a company name. I know some people aren't comfortable sharing that so the data will be masked before it is released. That will allow anyone analyzing the data to get an idea of how many people from the same company answered the survey but they will not know which company it is.

Privacy is important to me.

Please share this and let as many people as possible know about the survey. The more people who answer, the more valuable the results.

Click here to take the survey now. The survey was created with eSurveysPro.com, a free online survey software.

Thank you in advance.

LewisC

Technorati : , ,

2 comments:

rpbouman said...

Hi!

Being an employee with Sun/MySQL, I'd rather not take part in your survey. But I would like to get the raw results. Should I do something in particular to get that done?

TIA,

Roland

LewisC said...

Roland,

Nothing special although you could help spread the word if you would. If you don't want to blog about it, maybe mention it to a friend or two who might be willing to post a link to the survey?

But, nothing special is required. I will post a link to the results here and on other forums once they are available.

I consider this sort of a creative commons kind of effort. Free and open access.

Thanks,

LewisC